Saturday, March 17, 2012

Outdoor Tip #2



It's the Mr. here with an overdue post about my newest outdoor tip: don't buy it, if you can make it for less.  To illustrate this tip, I'm going to show you my latest endeavor.  I've been trying to get a little more into building my own fishing lures.  I've built some with friends and am trying to accumulate a few things here and there to accomplish this.  The first thing you need is the vice.  Some vice's go for up to $100, so I thought I would try to make one for a fraction of the cost.  I found a 4-inch C-clamp and a needle-nose vice grip.  The next step is to weld  a 1/4 inch rod to the C-clamp and to the vice grips. (No problem if you don't have a welder....just borrow.  I used a relatives, and it took us just a few minutes.)  Finally, I bent the top end of the rod at a 90 degree angle to give the weld a little more support on the vice grips.  Done!  Not only was I able to make this tool for less than the cost of buying it, but I will be able to make my own lures as well.
90 angle weld on vice grips




Finished product

2 comments:

  1. Can you post some pics of the lures your making? Thanks! Maybe we can do a story...hmm.
    Dave Berggren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've made a couple and working on a couple more....I'll post them soon.

      Delete