Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Skol Vikings!

The Mr. here. 
We are still in the midst of the Vikings Stadium debate as the legislatures hold their final hearings tonight regarding financing options.  It will be interesting, to say the least, to see what transpires out of these discussions (debates).  Many opinions are being formed regarding this huge issue, all of which I'm sure are not taken lightly by the Vikings and the decision makers.  Many believe the Vikings and the Wilf's are holding MN taxpayers hostage by forcing our hand in not renewing the lease on the Metrodome.  I could go on and on about both sides of the debate, but I will just make one point here….. the Arden Hills site would be an amazing place to hold not only football games, but other events during all seasons and I fully support an Arden Hills stadium.  That site has been an environmental wasteland for many years, and now the Vikings want to help clean it up and invest in our state.  However, I'm more in favor of just getting a stadium solution done.  I believe "the" stadium will get approved, however, I'm not sold on it being approved in Arden Hills just yet.  I believe it will be in Minneapolis if (and that's a big IF) Rybak and his cronies can get their rear ends in gear and figure out a plausible plan, which up to this point, they have failed to do.  If they can do this, then I believe a new stadium solution will get done. I'm just not sure where or when.  The idea of giving the Vikings the Metrodome (or Metrodump as I call it) is not feasible.  The dome is the sole reason we are the lowest revenue generating team in the league.  The Vikings deserve a new stadium and should get a new stadium.  The simple reason being, if we don't do it, somebody else will, regardless of what you think about Zigi Wilf.  We would lose all that tax revenue and we lose an important part of our MN heritage.  I believe the upside outweighs the downside here, and the argument about not getting a stadium until they've shown they can win is SSSOOOO short sighted.  They HAVE shown they can win, and they do have the overwhelming support of a growing fan base.  A team's record should not, and does not, have anything to do with a new stadium approval.  If anything, fans should be excited about what the future holds for this team.  Sure we have growing pains right NOW, but we have to get through them because I think the young talent this team will acquire is going to pay big dividends.  Leslie Frazier will continue to develop as a coach, and Christian Ponder will continue to develop as QB, and will be a superstar in this league.  You can bet on that one. 
Yes, it is just football, and there are other things that are more important.  We are all so blessed to be able to live in a country were we can enjoy sporting events.  My wife and I both grew up huge sports fans and that's something we want to pass on to our kids, but I encourage all of you to continue the discussion and get involved and write your legislatures (as I have done) on what you think. 
Go Vikings!

2 comments:

  1. I just want some better places to eat and shop here. If the stadium would do that, bring it on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have no idea about the Vikings and a new stadium but I really like your thoughts, Kyle!

    ReplyDelete