Tuesday, February 7, 2012

DIY Themed T-Shirts

Hey all....it's the Mrs. here!
Valentine's day is coming up, so here's a quick way to make a shirt for your little one (or yourself!) for little to no money, depending on what you already have in your home.  Best part....if you don't want to sew you don't have to!


Pick out the shirt you want to use.  I've used plain shirts and onesies so far, but I'm guessing even a small print would work well.  (**Hint: I've gotten shirts on clearance racks "off-season" so they were around $1 each....nice way to save a little money!)

Decide what you want on the shirt.  Because I made this shirt for Valentine's Day, I choose a "lovey" theme. :)  I just happened to have some scraps of pink fabric, and with tiny hearts on it so I decided to use those. 

Cut out your design and layout on shirt.  This is important to do to make sure it fits on the shirt well, and looks the way you want it to.

Attach with fabric glue.  That's right....I said it.....GLUE!!!  Usually when I make these shirts they are very "last minute" so fabric glue is the perfect solution.  The key is not to get the glue too think or "gloppy", otherwise your design may dry weird.  I usually try to put a small layer around the border of the design, then lightly press it down on the shirt. (**Hint: it's a good idea to have something between the front and back of the shirt in case your glue is too thick and goes through...otherwise your shirt will be stuck together!)

Add finishing touches.  In this case, I thought that having a stitched border around the heart would help it to stand out, so I hand-stiched the border after the glue had dried.  I also added the tiny heart on the front with fabric glue just because I thought it was sweet. :)

That's it!  Quick. Easy. Fun.  Enjoy making these for your own fam, or even as personalized gifts for little ones.  What shirt do you plan to make?  I'd love to hear your ideas!
 




I made this onesie to complete
Little Miss's Halloween Costume:
My sweet little Cabbage Patch Kid!


I made this for Little Miss's 1st birthday
(photo courtesy of alicia marie photography)


3 comments: