Thursday, January 5, 2012

Poor Man's Shelf

It's the Mr. here.  Wanted to share with you my latest attempt to clean up our garage.  Buying storage shelves can be expensive, so I had to come up with another way to organize the stuff.  I had some extra wood laying around so I thought I would throw something together.  Here's what I did...
Supplies (I used what I had, so your measurements could be slightly different)
1 long 2x4
6 shorter pieces of 2x4's (3 about 20 inches & 3 about 6 inches)
1 long sheet of plywood or particle board (length and width to your desire)
3 inch screws and 1 1/2 inch screws
Drill (preferably an impact driver, and regular drill)
Pre-drill bit (optional to prevent splitting)
Skill saw and/or Reciprocating saw (electric works best.... I used battery and ran out of power very quickly)
Level



1. Screw long 2x4 into the wall studs where you want your shelf to go.  Make sure it's level.
2. Screw shorter 2x4's a few inches below the long 2x4.  (these will be used to screw in your support beams.)
3. Cut the 20" support beams; one end at 45 degree angle, the other at about 65 degrees. (does not have to be perfect, if you aren't using the shelf for anything too heavy.)
4. Screw the 20" support beams to the wall so the 65 degree angle is at the top where the shelf would go. 
5. Pre-drill the back end of your plywood or particle board used for the shelf.
6. Place the shelf on top of the long 2x4 and let it rest on the support beams. 
7. Screw the shelf into the long 2x4 with 1 1/2 inch screws
8. Pre-drill the top part of the support beams that go into the shelf.
9. Make sure the shelf is level and attach to the support beams.

Voila!

2 comments:

  1. I need this done in my garage! when you coming over?

    Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soon my friend, very soon! What about your basement?

    ReplyDelete